Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flor de Cana 5 Year Old Black Label

Rum: Flor de Cana, 5 Year Old Black Label
Maker: Compania Licorera de Nicaragua
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Website: www.flordecana.com
Suggested Cocktail: Black & Cola

Packaging & Such-
The bottle is squared with a short neck and twist off cap. The label is black with gold lettering. This is traditional Rum made from molasses.

Appearance-
The 5 years of aging in casks have given this Rum a beautiful amber color.

Nose-
The aroma is sweet and nutty. You definitely get hints of nutmeg and citrus.

First Impression-
The Rum starts off lighter than I would have anticipated. The initial taste is very straight forward. The taste doesn’t linger to long on your palate.

Character & Body-
It has a nice “easy” character. The Rum is simple to pick apart. It has a woodsy taste that you don’t pick up from the aroma. The nuttiness is very evident in the after taste. The body is surprising light.

Overall & Finish-
Although I enjoyed this Amber Rum, it doesn’t have the depth that one would expect from a 5 Year Aged Spirit. It pairs up very well with citrus as well as cola. If you have a well developed palate you may not enjoy this Rum “neat”. This is great Rum to have on hand to whip up Rum & Cokes with character.

Cocktail of choice-
Rum & Coke with a twist of lime peel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't agree with your politics, but at least you like good rum, took the time to share and deserve the tip of the year. This comes from a Republican. Drive down to Liquor Direct in Covington asap (as in tomorrow). Check out the sale on rhum agricole. You won't be dissapointed (and no, I don't work there)

M.M. Cayman said...

Thank you for your comment. I need to get my hands on some more Rum Agricole for my collection. I appreciate the tip. You being a Republican does not bother me. After all- every hero needs villains (just joking). I have a lot of respect for many Republican friends. I know that both parties have their ups and downs. Let’s hope the next administration being Democrat or Republican lead us in the correct direction. I am a confessed political junkie. All through college friends and I would Smoke Cigars drink Wine & Rum and watch debates and elections. For me Politics, Cigars & Rum are all intertwined. I hope use my Blog to highlight great Cigars, Rum and have some fun talking about Politics.